- Start the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE)
- Expand the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT by clicking the plus sign.
- Scroll down and expand the Unknown subkey.
- Click on the Shell key and right click on it.
- Select New from the pop-up menu and choose Key.
- Enter the name you want to be displayed, e.g. the name of the application.
Just right-click where you want to create the shortcut (for example, the Desktop) and choose New > Shortcut. In the Create Shortcut window, type (or copy and paste) the name of the setting into the location box and then click Next. Type a name for the new shortcut and then click Finish.
You can add custom items to your desktop context menu from the registry as well, such as a shortcut launcher for a program. Navigate to ComputerHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryBackgroundshell, and then… Right click on “shell” and go to New > Key — give it the name of the program you’re going to be launching.
To remove default New context menu Items in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.contact.
- Here, remove the ShellNew subkey.
- The New – Contact entry is now removed.
Microsoft has hidden the command prompt from the Power User menu (Windows key + X), file menu for file explorer, and the extended or right-click Windows 10 context menu (Shift + Right-click).
Editing right click menu on Windows 10
- Use the Registry Editor. Go with the mouse over to the left side of the screen. Click (left click) in the search box in the upper left of your screen. …
- Use a context menu editor. If you don’t feel comfortable using the Registry Editor, you can also use a menu editor.
2. Restart Windows File Explorer
- Step 1: Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Step 2: Find Windows Explorer under the Processes tab, right-click on it, and click on Restart.
- Note: Pretty much anything that you can do with the right-click context menu in Windows 10 can be done the long way.
- Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. …
- Now look for the file type which you want to add in “New” menu, e.g. for adding MP3 file type look for . …
- Right-click on it and select “New -> Key” and give it name “ShellNew”.
- In right-side pane, right-click and select “New -> String Value”. …
- That’s it.