If you are a frequent ROM changer or have a little knowledge about it then you might better know the importance of a Nandroid backup. In this guide we are going to show you how to create a Nandroid Backup using custom recoveries including ClockworkMod and TWRP recovery. Android being an open source allows you to make tons of modifications and customization including installing custom ROMs, tweaks and mods, apart from it you can also perform many other things.
So the first and the most important part while performing any change in an Android OS is that you must have a safe backup of your personal data, including the current ROM. This is because if something goes wrong while performing certain operation like installing a custom firmware, you would be able to retrieve the backup and restore it. This whole operation of creating a secure back up of your important data including, contacts, apps, settings and the currently installed firmware is called Nandroid Backup.
A Nandroid backup is created using a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP, these two custom recoveries are the most popular and widely used. So in this guide we are going to show you the step by step process along pictures to create a complete Nandroid Backup of your Android device using CWM or TWRP custom recovery.
Just follow the below simple steps to create a Nandroid Backup/Restore using CWM or TWRP recovery.
How to Create a Nandroid backup via TWRP Custom Recovery
- Turn of your device and boot into TWRP custom Recovery menu by the hardware keys combinations or using any third party app (Mostly found in Play store).
- Once you entered TWRP main menu tap the Backup option. You will be notified about the available partitions to backup.
- Now select the partitions to backup and select the storage option where you want to create backup.
Swipe across the slider to confirm the backup. The process will start immediately and will show a success message once done.
Nandroid Restore via TWRP Custom Recovery
You can also restore the Nandroid backups you have created earlier.
- Tap the Restore button in the main menu and select the backup file you want to restore.
- Swipe horizontally across the slider to confirm the restore process.
- Once the restore process is completed, you will be taken to main menu with an option to reboot the device. Tap on it to reboot your device.
How to Create a Nandroid backup via ClockWorkMod Custom Recovery
Just follow the below simple steps to create a secure Nandroid backup via CWM recovery.
- Turn of your device and boot into CWM custom recovery menu by the hardware keys combinations or using third party app (Mostly found in Play store).
- Once your device entered into CWM recovery, Select Backup and Restore from the menu.
- Now select the desired storage (Internal or External) in which you want to create the Nandroid backup
- Select yes and the backup process will start automatically, it will take a few minutes to complete and you will be notified.
Nandroid Restore via ClockworkMod recovery
- To restore a backup, select the Backup and Restore option again and this time choose Restore, to restore the previous backup.
- Select the backup file you wish to restore, either you can perform advance restore and select yes.
- Once the restore process is completed go back and reboot your system.
That’s it! Hope this guide will help you in creating a Nandroid backup using CWM or TWRP recovery. If you have any query feel free to contact us by posting your comment in the below provided comment section. Follow us on Facebook/Twitter/Google+ for future update.